This is a Run Lift Mom podcast interview about how to handle pelvic pain and incontinence for mother runners with Dawn Joesph of Simply Core Fit.
Dawn has been a Kinesiologist and group fitness leader for over 20 years.
She is also a Pre & Post Natal Specialist, FMS Certified (Movement Analysis), and NCCP Level 3 Gymnastics & Sailing Coach.
Put simply: she knows her stuff!
Working primarily with women who have had children, Dawn sees a lot of core dysfunction in her practice.
Her mission is to help properly strengthen all of the core so they can achieve performance and health goals through proper core strengthening that creates stability and mobility.
Dawn also uses heavy doses of education with clients and in her public social platforms, which we can all appreciate!
This was easily the most comfortable interview I’ve ever done with a clinician; Dawn has a special way of making folks feel at ease. Hope you enjoy learning from her and can apply something to your own lifestyle or fitness journey!
- 2:00 why do women experience pelvic pain when they run?
- 4:00 how would we know something is wrong if we are coached to “push through it”?
- 5:30 difference between mobility and stability
- 8:00 importance of moving correctly- everything flows from your core and the stronger your core is, the better your body will feel and perform
- 9:30 is pelvic dysfunction and incontinence related?
- 10:00 most injuries and pain we endure comes from core dysfunction
- 11:30 role of diaphragm, posterior pelvic floor
- 13:30: why Kegel exercises can be harmful
- 15:00 shame around incontinence
- 17:30 how pelvic health leads to better quality of life
- 19:20 fix your imbalances now!
- 21:00 importance of posture, breathing on your overall core strength and health
- 23:00 GoNoodle breathing exercises (I love the rainbow breath!)
- 25:30 Simply Core Strong Program
Connect with Dawn
You can visit Dawn’s website and check out her virtual resources if you are located in the US.
Connect with her on Instagram for lots of helpful tips, education and check out the Simply Core Strong Program for on demand resources and a free trial.
Support Run Lift Mom podcast
The podcast episode associated with this post is made possible by the following partners:
Factor meal delivery service – use FACTOR2020 for $25 off your first week
Sarah Marie Designs – use RUNLIFTMOM to save 10%
Red H Nutrition – use RUNLIFTMOM to save 15% on anything
Aloette – aloe vera based skincare and cosmetics – huge holiday sale coming up. Check here to see what’s on sale in real time!
Let’s hang out!
Click on a square below to see the Instagram post.