This episode is an interview about a sobriety story with Jennifer Golden, who is living proof that God can give you the strength to defeat addiction
From drink to drink
For a long time, Jennifer lived a life where every ounce of energy she went to drinking alcohol.
As a high functioning alcoholic, Jennifer’s life revolved around drink to drink- when, where, how, and how much.
She is very open about being a woman in recovery and how to open up and get help; she sought help in early sobriety by working with a therapist and going to the gym.
- How the drinking pattern began
- What high functioning alcoholism looks like
- What high functioning alcoholism feels like
- The only difference between me & the homeless person on the corner with a brown bag was I had a job and some money”
- Hurting others, losing marriage over drinking
- Getting clean and relapsing repeatedly- drinking is the socially acceptable way to date as an adult
- Living a deceptive life & always having an excuse for behavior
- Calibrating to begin the day and going to school drop off with a drink
- August 12 2015 turning point
- Self talk- minute to hour, hour by hour, day by day
- The power of a glass of liquid
- Therapy as a recovery tool
- Fitness as a recovery tool. Pinterest and YouTube videos as trainer
- Replacing bad behavior with good behavior
- “I had no problem spending time on booze but I didn’t want to hire a trainer!”
- Preconceived notion of what fitness community would be like – wrong! Everyone is there to better themselves.
- Taking ownership of deceitful behaviors with marriage & eventual reconciliation in 2018 “It’s a gift of my sobriety I never saw coming!”
- You aren’t alone in addiction. Never too old to change your life!
- Instagram as a tool for sharing and coping
- Impact you can have on people. Butterfly effect
- ZYIA active rapid fire
Connect and be inspired
Connect with Jennifer on Instagram and follow her journey of sobriety, which is almost 5 years in the making.
The podcast episode associated with this post is made possible by your support of my own training offering, ZYIA Active business, and a partnership with Woofy and Red H Nutrition (use RUNLIFTMOM to save 15% on anything).